Tourist Places to Visit in Haridwar, India
1. Har Ki PauriHar Ki Pauri is the most popular ghat in the holy city and the most prominent in the country. Situated on the banks of the River Ganga, it is believed that Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva came to visit the temple in Har Ki Pauri. In the evening, the ghat becomes even more beautiful when hundreds of lit diyas are set afloat and the priests perform Ganga Aarti. How to reach: Autos are available till Bhimgoda from where Har Ki Pauri is just 1 km away Best time to visit: March to June USP: The Ganga Aarti is a sight to behold with floating diyas and prayer chants
2. Chandi Devi TempleResting on top of the Neel Parvat of Shivalik Hills, Chandi Devi Temple is among the most popular places to visit in Haridwar. The temple is among the Siddha Peethas and is considered as one of the 5 pilgrimages of Haridwar. Hiking to the top reveals the historical beauty of the temple with greenery all around. How to reach: It is at a 4 km trek from Haridwar. Visitors can also take the Chandi Devi Udankhatola which is the ropeway. Best time to visit: February to October USP: Climbing to the top offers panoramic views of Haridwar city.
3. Vaishno Devi TempleThe temple contains the shrine of Goddess Vaishno Devi which attracts thousands of tourists throughout the year. The Vaishno Devi Temple has tunnels, caves and steep stairs which lead to the shrine. It is believed that the temple was made to pay respect to a devotee of Lord Ram named Trikuta. How to reach: Cabs are easily available to reach the temple Best time to visit: March to October USP: Along with the shrine of Goddess Vaishno Devi, there are also replicas of the 12 Jyotirlingas in India.
4. Rajaji National ParkThe Rajaji National Park is the perfect place for wildlife enthusiasts and nature lovers. It covers an area of 820.42 sq km across three districts, Dehradun, Pauri Garhwal and Haridwar. It also became a Tiger reserve after April 2015. The park is home to a wide variety of fauna and flora, some of which is unique to the national park. How to reach: It is just 8 km from Haridwar Railway Station and can be reached by taxi Best time to visit: November to June. April, May and June are considered as the ideal time to spot animals at the park. USP: The park has an eco-friendly construction considering wind directions, using solar panels and sun factor for heat and natural light.
5. Mansa Devi TempleThe Mansa Devi Temple is another popular tourist place in Haridwar. The temple is one of the five pilgrimages of Haridwar and tourists visit the temple in large numbers in hopes of having their wishes fulfilled by Mansa Devi who is a form of Shakti. The devotees, who make a wish at the temple, tie a thread to the branch of a tree within the temple and once it is fulfilled, they come back to untie it. How to reach: Mansi Devi Temple can be easily reached by cable car or on foot. Best time to visit: July to October and March to May USP: The Kanwar Mela and festivals like Ramnavami and Buddha Purnima are celebrated in full force here.
6. Bara BazaarFor purchasing handicrafts and wooden items, visitors should head to Bara Bazaar. It is an entire lane of shops selling religious items as well as souvenirs to the huge number of tourists who visit the place. It is one of the liveliest places in the city with bustling streets, colorful shops and lovely trinkets. How to reach: Bara Bazaar is located on Railway Road which is well-connected by local public transport. Best time to visit: October to March USP: The market is the perfect place for purchasing ayurvedic medicines and Rudraksha.
7. Vishnu GhatVishnu Ghat is among the many popular places of interest in Haridwar which offers serenity and peace. Compared to Har Ki Pauri and the other ghats, it is less crowded and the cleanest in the holy city, making it perfect to take a dip in the Ganga River. Travelers can come and relax and dip their feet in the cool river. How to reach: It is at a walking distance from Har Ki Pauri Best time to visit: October to March USP: Being so close to Har Ki Pauri, Vishnu Ghat is cleaner and quieter. Snacks are available as well.
8. Pawan DhamThe Pawan Dham is a Hindu temple which is known for its amazing interiors. It boasts of the beautiful and detailed architecture along with intricate glasswork that is complimented by the idols that have been decorated with precious stones and jewels. It is managed by Geeta Bhawan Trust Society which is a non-profit organization. How to reach: One can reach Pawan Dham through any mode of transport as it is located on the Dehradun-Rishikesh Road. Best time to visit: October to March USP: It houses the idol of Lord Krishna preaching the Bhagavad Geeta to Arjun.
9. Jai Ram AshramEstablished in 1891, the meditation center houses a temple, a Sanskrit college, a Satsang Bhavan and a dispensary. Devotees can attend the Satsangs and Kirtans that are held regularly at Jai Ram Ashram. There are accommodations within the ashram for the pilgrims. The hospital within the premises organizes eye camps for the underprivileged children. How to reach: Visitors can take a taxi, bus or their own vehicle to reach Bhimgoda where the ashram is. Best time to visit: October to March USP: The hospital provides medicines and medical assistance without any charge.
10. Crystal WorldAnother interesting place to visit in Haridwar is Crystal World Water Park. There are more than 18 water rides for visitors to enjoy along with several other recreational activities. It is the perfect place for a family to spend some time together. Guests can also host functions like weddings and private parties at Crystal World Water Park. How to reach: Crystal World can be easily reached by bus or auto as it is located close to the national highway. Best time to visit: October – December, February – March USP: The 5D water ride at the park is quite popular with the visitors.
Information about hotels in Haridwar with rates is easily available online. One can get an idea of the budget and itinerary of the trip as well.
Yes, there are several resorts in Haridwar.
While in Haridwar, travellers can go on a safari at Rajaji National Park, try out the thrilling rides at the Crystal World Water Park or hike to various temples to get panoramic views of the city.
The Ganga Aarti starts at 5:30 am in the morning and ends at 6:30 am. In the evening, the aarti starts at 6 pm and lasts till 7 pm.