In case you are planning to travel abroad, it is mandatory to have a valid Indian passport. Any Indian citizen can easily obtain a passport by producing the required documents at the nearest Passport Seva Kendra (PSK). As of 2015, the Ministry of External Affairs in India operates 81 PSKs in major cities. The PSKs fall under the jurisdiction of 37 Regional Passport Offices. Additionally, the MEA also operates 11 mini passport offices called Passport Seva Laghu Kendras. Those seeking passport renewal in India can refer to this Wikipedia page for information about India’s PSKs and passport offices.
Having a valid passport provides varied benefits as it serves as identity proof. An Indian passport is valid for a period of 10 years, after which it needs renewal. Applicants can also renew their passports by making the payment online and book an appointment on the official website.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on passport renewal in India:
Step #1: Online Registration
- Log on to the official website www.passportindia.gov.in
- Users that are already registered can log in using the “Existing User? Login” link
- New users can register at the “New User? Register Now” link
- Choose the nearest passport office from your present location
- Create your login ID and password
- A confirmation email will be sent to your registered email ID
- Click on the link sent to your email to activate your account
- After logging into your account, click on the “Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport.”
Step #2: Filling the application form
There are two ways of filling the application
- Fill it offline after downloading the application form in PDF format
- Fill the online form
- Enter your present address
- Enter/edit any personal details such as spouse name, etc.
- Enter your full name, address, and contact number. You also need to provide two local references. In case police verification is required, you will be contacted. If you are filling an online form, click on the submit button to complete the application.
- If you are filling a PDF form, make sure to enter your city or village name before clicking on the validate button to save the form. You then need to upload the document on the same page from where you had downloaded it. The details will be automatically updated in the online form.
Step #3: Payment
No payment is required for renewing your passport.
Step #4: Book a Slot
- Click of the “Schedule Appointment” link
- Select among the available slots that you find most convenient
- Your appointment shall be scheduled once you confirm your preferred time slot
Difference Between Re-issue and Renewal of Passport
A passport renewal is required when its validity expires. However, re-issue of passport is required only in the event of the following:
- Lost or stolen passport
- Expired/about to expire passport
- Exhausted pages in existing passport
- Damaged or soiled passport
- Change is personal details
Passport Renewal in India Documents Requirement
If you apply for passport renewal in India, certain documents must be attached along with your application. The official Passport Seva Kendra website offers a ‘Document Advisor’ for passport renewal. The document requirement differs according to the type of passport being applied by the applicant, such as regular/tatkal and the applicant’s age: minor/adult.
Necessary documents required for a general passport application include:
- Expired/old passport in original
- Self-attested copies of the first and last two pages of the old passport
- Self-attested copy of the Emigration Check Required (ERC)/Non-ECR page of the old passport
- Self-attested copy of the old passport’s page on which the Passport Issuing Authority has made observations if any
- Self-attested copy of the validity extension page concerning the Short Validity Passport (SVP) if any
- Documentary proof eliminating the cause of issuance of Short Validity Passport (SVP)
Note: Kindly follow the official website’s instructions and carry all the required documents in original/photocopy form as needed.